Sunday 8 November 2009

“Been a long time since I wrote some scroll”

Originally Posted 10/11/2004

Ahem sorry about that!

So its been a while and not a lot has really been happening, a couple of modifications have been made to the chassis. To give a more lotusy appearance I’ve dropped the back of the rails at the occupants elbow down a little to be in keeping with the original 7.

I’ve managed to cut out the floor and shaped it to fit.I’ve decided to plug weld the floor to the chassis. This involved punching a hole every in arounf the perimeter of the plate to weld to the main frame, and a few other places besides, the old hands are hurting now. The bloody punch kept falling appart as I was using it (cheap tools cost you dear) oh and the nibbler also broke but was replaced by machine mart without protracted negotiations.

After puching out all the holes I did a few practive plug welds on the piece of scrap, only to find I can’t plug weld to save myself, the welds were just not strong enough. Turning up the welder was causing the ring main RCD in the garage to trip out, so I’ve rigged up a line of the back of the main RCD wich seems to be stayin up without problems. Also purchased a spot wled shroud from weldco and had a wee practice with the welder set to max power I performed a couple of welds which required substantial wacking with a hammer to break, and tore out metal from the tube so I’m now happy that I can do it but am thinking of rigging up a spot timer before welding the floor on just for consistancies sake.

Looks like LeMans is a bit of an optimistic target for completion but hopefully next summer at some time is the current estimate.